About Network Symplicity
Network Symplicity is a web-based program specifically for Liberal Arts majors. Liberal Arts majors can create an account, complete a profile, upload a resume draft (or cover letter) for review, and search for internship and research opportunities. Internship descriptions are posted by employers or faculty members seeking Penn State students and are reviewed and pre-approved by Liberal Arts Career Enrichment Network staff members. Positions posted in Network Symplicity are typically one semester in advance of the start of the position, so summer positions are posted in spring, for example. Network Symplicity is available to all currently registered Liberal Arts majors in good academic standing (i.e. cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above).
Liberal Arts majors can use Network Symplicity to:
- Search and apply for internship and research positions;
- Upload and receive feedback on resumes, cover letters, and other application materials;
- View a calendar of professional development and career-related events;
- View job-search resources to assist with developing application materials and preparing for interviews;
- Schedule an appointment with a Network staff member to discuss application materials or specific career interests; and
- Participate in the Leadership and Enrichment through Assessment and Development (LEAD) Program.
Résumé Requirements For Network Symplicity
Before you can begin to use Network Symplicity or apply for positions, you will need to register for an account. Your registration will be approved by a staff member, and once approved, you will be able to upload your résumé. If you don't have a résumé, or if you need some advice on updating your current résumé, please view the Resources tab in Network Symplicity for resources such as Résumé Advice for Liberal Arts Majors, the Liberal Arts Résumé Lookbook, and the Penn State Career Guide.
Although there are some variations on what constitutes an acceptable résumé—depending upon whom you ask—we do require that certain elements be included in any résumé posted in Network Symplicty:
- An objective statement, indicating what type of position you are seeking (e.g. internship or research) and in what timeframe (semester or month, year)
- Your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Your major and degree type (e.g. Bachelor of Science in Psychology or Bachelor of Arts in English)
- Your anticipated graduation date (month, year)
- Cumulative GPA (major in GPA is optional); if you do not yet have a Penn State GPA, include your high school GPA or your GPA from a previous institution
Other helpful résumé tips:
- The official name of the University is The Pennsylvania State University and the College is College of the Liberal Arts.
- The University is located in University Park, PA not State College, PA.
- In most cases, undergraduate resumes should fit on one page. Do your best to assess your resume based on your objective and include the experiences most relevant to the position or field you are seeking.
- We also strongly recommend that you do not include your references on your résumé; it is standard for an employer to request references from a candidate following an interview, not at the point of submitting a résumé.
How To Register For A Network Symplicity Account
- Go to the Network Symplicity website.
- Select Register on the right side of the screen.
- Complete the Student Registration, including the Student Agreement checkbox at the bottom of the page. Once registration is complete, you will receive an e-mail message to verify that the account you provided is active.
- Once you have verified your e-mail address, you will receive a second e-mail message containing unique login information.
- Log in to Network Symplicity and set up your personal profile by completing the Personal Information and Academic & Employment Info within the Profile section.
- Upload your résumé (required) and other job search documents (optional) in the Documents section. Liberal Arts Career Enrichment Network staff will review your résumé and either approve it or request that you make changes so it can be approved. If changes are requested or recommended, then your resume will remain in pending status until you revise it and submit an updated version for approval. Network staff members generally review résumés within 24–48 hours of submission during a regular work week. Please be aware that résumé reviews may not be completed for several days during or immediately following major career events such as Fall Career Days or the People-to-People Career Fair.
- Once your résumé is approved, you will be able to apply to positions through the Network Symplicity system. Please make sure that you read the application instructions carefully for each position and ask a Network staff member if you’re unsure about how to apply. Some employers will require you to apply for positions through their organization’s web site directly. In those cases, we also require students to upload their resumes to the posting in Network Symplicity for tracking purposes.
Information for Graduating Seniors
At this time, Network Symplicity only includes information about internship and research opportunities for current Liberal Arts majors. We do not post full-time positions. Graduating Liberal Arts majors should create an account with the Nittany Lion Career Network through Penn State Career Services. The Nittany Lion Career Network is a posting system similar to Network Symplicity, but is typically more focused on full-time, permanent positions. Job postings are also occasionally posted on the LAUS Announcement blog. These postings are typically included in the weekly Liberal Arts Undergraduate Newswire, so keep an eye out for full-time opportunities there as well.